Our lunch distribution principles were developed after hearing the same questions from a number of our first-time volunteers:
- What do I say to someone who needs a lunch?
- What do I do?
- How do I hand out lunches?
- Where do I hand out lunches?
While they don't answer every question a first-time volunteer may have, they help provide you with a rough guide of what you need to know when distributing lunches for the first time.
- Offer the lunches in a manner that preserves recipient's dignity
- Approach recipients as equals
- Greet recipients in a friendly manner
- Never say 'Free Lunch', rather consider saying ‘We have some lunches to share if you would like one?’
- Try and limit to 1 bag per recipient
- Avoid large groups if you don’t have enough lunches to go around
- Stay in or around Washington Park
- Go in groups
- Avoid carrying purses or money
- Recall the experience with a friend.
- What did you learn?
- What made you feel uncomfortable?
- How were you impacted?
Don't fret! We always send first-time volunteers out with an experienced volunteer to help you feel at ease.